Friday, August 29, 2008

It's a Girl!

Ji (Hyoji Mun) arrived from Korea yesterday at about 1:30 pm. She will be living with us for the next 4 years. She is 14 and going into the 9th grade. She is a tiny bundle of energy. OK, I'm now making her sound too much like a baby...but she does weigh about as much as my left leg. And she is full of energy. After a 12 hour flight and probably very little sleep the day before she left Korea, I couldn't help but notice how energetic she seemed. I'm excited about the prospect of having Ji be part of our family.

I LOVE having a son. When I was pregnant, I knew immediately that I was having a boy...no medical proof, just a feeling in my heart. But, there is a part of me that always wanted a little girl too. So, this past month, in getting ready for Ji's arrival, I went crazy. First of all, I should say, I NEVER intended to go that PINK. I was wandering through Goodwill one afternoon and found a sarong that was bright pink and dark blue tye-dye. Now, understand that I was never much of a tye-dye kind of person...but the colors of this piece of cloth just jumped out at me. It cost a whopping 99 cents and I decided right then and there that this would be the focal point of Ji's room decor. Well, I found pink sheets, and after taking back the fuzzy, dark blue bed spread/blanket that was leaving dark blue fuzz all over my entire house, I found a deep rose (just another name for dark pink) bed spread. That wasn't enough. I was looking for some kind of cool pillow...something that screamed teenager...yet brought out the dark blue in the sarong. I didn't find what I was initially looking for, but instead found a beautiful pillow shaped like a flower...each petal is stuffed individually...it is silk and several beautiful shades of pink...and I think it made her bed beautiful. I also found her a cute little pink lava lamp...ok, by now I think you get the picture. I put the room all together and had Zack go take a look. He stared for several seconds, then turned to me and said, "I think you went way over the edge here."

As for the sarong...I don't know what I initially intended it to be...a table cloth, curtain, I really don't know...but I ended up putting it away. I made the room so girly looking, that it just didn't fit in anywhere.

We're going out shopping tomorrow for ruffly dresses and hair ribbons. (JUST KIDDING)

Have a safe and relaxing holiday weekend!

No comments: