Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Surpr-eyes... Surpr-eyes....Surpr-eyes....

No, I haven't forgotten how to spell...just wanted to sound like Gomer Pyle. This has been a week of surprises...and it looks like they may continue.

Surprise #1...Came back to school last Wednesday after a very busy (and somewhat emotionally draining) holiday to find that our school has been sold...lock, stock and barrell. Seems we were in worse financial trouble than the staff had actually been told and the only way out was to sell to another Christian school. We all believe this is a good thing...the school that bought us is very reputable and appears to run their facilities well. But, there is always trepidation of the unknown. We were told that they want to maintain our school's history and heritage...but there will be some changes. First thing that had to happen was to cut $100k a month of overages. I think we all realized that would be staff cuts, but that doesn't make it easier. The cutting has begun and has included a couple more surprises. That puts all of us on the edge of our seats. Today will be our first staff meeting with the new administration...and I think all of us are anxious to hear more details about the changes to come.

Surprise #2...Came home Monday evening to no heat. Nothing, nada, zilch...temperature outside was around 34 degrees, inside it felt like 32. We both bundled up for the evening, lit a fire in the fireplace and found it very difficult to hop out of bed Tuesday morning. (especially when we woke up to 3 inches of snow!) This house has oil heat. Someone told me it was much more efficient. Well, I think I could deal with a $150 electric bill better than I can a $400 oil bill...especially when I just had it filled on December 5. So, money I had set aside for this month's rent is now gone which means all of it has to come out of next pay check which will leave us very little for the next 2 weeks. I had been told that most families of 4 have to fill a 300 gallon tank twice a year...yesterday when I called for another 100 gallon, the lady said that that's true, however, one filling (300 gal.) usually takes place in November and lasts for about 3 months. Then the next filling lasts for the rest of the year because the heat is not as necessary. So, have to work another 100 gallons into the budget after this month. As cold as it has been and as many drafty spots as we have in this house will eat up this 100 gallons in a month or less.
This weekend, I plan on putting plastic over every window in the house. I am not worried about appearances at this point.

How we handle life's surprises and ups and downs helps us realize where we are on the "faith maturity" level. Sometimes I find myself feeling very immature in that area. I am working on facing these surprises without overreacting...without saying "why me?"...without questioning God.

Wish I wasn't so human.

1 comment:

Miriam said...

I hope everything works out ok.

I know you can get through this. Don't believe me? Go through your archives :) Your faith is so amazing.

http://lspoon.wordpress.com