Monday, November 19, 2007

Turkey vs. Prime Rib

I love Thanksgiving. I love the whole process of cooking Thanksgiving dinner. I haven't been able to do that for a couple of years now. Guess it will be another year before I get the pleasure.

Room-mate doesn't have her kids this year. For 2 weeks she has been talking about her and boyfriend (who does have his son) going out to eat. I kept saying that since they weren't cooking here, I was going to be making a big, traditional Thanksgiving dinner (crazy me, I still like tradition) and instead of going out to eat, they should just have dinner with us. I've had the menu and the grocery list made up for a week, and was really looking forward to my day in the kitchen.

So, last night, right before they went to bed room-mate calls me. (Yeah, she was in her bedroom about 90 feet away and she called me.) They have decided they are going to have dinner here, but boyfriend wants prime rib. (FOR THANKSGIVING???) She said that if I want to cook a small turkey earlier in the day, they will allow time for that and that boyfriend will make the stuffing/dressing because he has a great recipe for cornbread dressing.

Well, turkey poop! It wasn't about cooking a turkey. We've had invitations to traditional dinners that we've turned down. I'm sure we could call up and re-invite ourselves, but I really need the day to get moving stuff done and just want to be able to spend the day at home working on things that I need to work on. So, I guess we'll be eating prime rib.

And again, God teaches me things through these little frustrations. I can't spend the week pouting and whining. I will get the things done that I need to get done and eat the prime rib and will cook a Thanksgiving dinner soon after we get moved into our own place. I have to accept that I can't control these things.

We don't always have control over situations, God wants us to let go of our control and give it back to Him. I've never considered myself a real controlling person, but I like things to go the way I plan them (guess that makes me a somewhat controlling person)...sometimes God has other plans. We want "turkey" and He wants to give us "prime rib".

Quit whining and enjoy the prime rib.

2 comments:

Miriam said...

I'm sure it's going to be a wonderful day regardless. Full of memories I'm sure.


http://lspoon.wordpress.com

ADW said...

Enjoy your Prime Rib and then have a blast making your own Thanksgiving Dinner in your new place.