Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Explanation of my blog title

I have been reading other blogs for a while now. I've always been interested in other peoples' lives...but usually I knew the person. As I read the blogs of friends and strangers, Ifind myself responding out loud and then thinking, "I have a lot to say...wonder who'd like to hear about it?" Now, I'll write and just assume that it's being read all over the world. I'll never really know, but I can pretend. :)

"In the Planning Stages"...I want to explain the name. One of my favorite scriptures is Jeremiah 29:11 "I know the plans I have for you...to give you a future and hope." These last few years I have relied heavily upon the promise of that verse.

When I was younger and dreamed about the future, I certainly didn't imagine that in my 5th decade, I would still be looking for jobs and worrying about what the future holds. I figured I'd have 2 children who had both graduated from high school (with honors) and were now sailing through their college years (again with honors). My strikingly handsome, intelligent, highly successful, 'treats me like a queen' husband and I would spend our evenings taking long walks with our perfectly trained Irish Setter, discussing the exciting and fulfilling events of the day. Our weekends would be spent working on our beautifully manicured lawn surrounding our quaint, paid-for home, traveling, getting together with our many friends. Our contagious laughter would fill the neighborhood and people would smile....OK, you get the picture...I obviously read one too many Harlequin romances.

So, as you may have guessed, none of the above is actually happening in my life right now. I do have a WONDERFUL 13 year old son. He's in the 8th grade...not exactly making "honors" grades. Did I mention that he's 13? I know he loves me, but he spends a lot of time rolling his eyes when I speak and using terms like "whatever" and "wow". He's 13. Mind you, the "wow" is not an excited "WOW!" (implying that I have said or done something wonderful), instead it's a flat, monotone "wow" (meaning "did you really just say that?" "are you really that dumb?"). I assume you get the picture. I hope I survive 13...I hope he survives 13! :) I do love him and look at him as the greatest physical gift I've ever been given.

The husband...well, again, not exactly as I pictured...I have an ex. The house...we live in a great house along with another single mom and her 2 sons. It's not ideal, we don't own it, but it works for us right now.

I'm not complaining...just explaining the title of my blog site. Our childhood dreams are not always the reality of life. God has plans for us and I am learning and believing that I am still (and will always remain) in the "planning stages". I don't always know what His plans are, but I am holding on to the fact that as long as I continue trusting Him, His plans are going to take me further than I ever could have dreamed. Along the way there will be successes and failures, thrills and disappointments...you know...real life.

My goals with this blog? Maybe to encourage someone else who feels like they'll never get "there" (wherever "there" is)...maybe to make someone laugh...maybe to make someone cry...maybe to make someone think...maybe to inspire someone...maybe just to read my own thoughts out loud and think they are wise and profound. We'll see where it takes me.

What I do know is that today I am excited about being in the planning stages. I'm excited to know that God isn't done with me and that He has plans for my future. Above all, He gives me hope!

1 comment:

Teacha said...

What a way to explain what God is doing in your life!