Wednesday, April 11, 2007

"Sensitive" Toilets

I promise, I will not blog often about toilets or other potty talk, but this is an ongoing frustration.

I work hard to improve my self-image. I look in the mirror and try to see what God sees instead of what I see. I have memorized and often quote "I am fearfully and wonderfully made." I'm working on treating myself the way I would like to be treated. Some days I am fairly successful...until I get to a public restroom where the sensory toilet doesn't sense me. What's that about? I see other women go into the stall and bat their eyelashes and the toilet flushes...but not me. It's not like my butt is not easy to sense...come on now. And yes, I know there is a button you can push...but it's the principle of the matter. The toilet makes me feel invisible and insignificant. I wiggle, I shake, I jump up and down, I wave my hands in front of the "eye" and nothing happens. Finally I give up and push the silly button. Still frustrated, I come out of the stall to wash my hands...again, the sensor doesn't sense me. Since I am already frustrated by the toilet, I find myself waving my hands frantically under the spigot. When that doesn't work, I just start waving my hands all over the place...trying to get some running water. People look at me like they are afraid I'm losing my mind...of course, while they are looking at me, they are washing their hands. As they leave, I run to their place at the sink and get my hands wet before the water dries up. The frustration continues. There are no paper towels, instead a sensory hand dryer.

I guess I should just use the restroom before I leave home.

No comments: