Monday, June 25, 2007

Choices

I probably already mentioned that I was hoping to be the "great testimony" at the end of Scott's series on "prayer". (Scott, by the way, is my pastor.) Well, he followed up the "prayer" series with a series on "disappointment"...turns out I am more in line for the "testimony" to that series.

For the past three weeks, Scott has talked about the story of Joseph. Here's a guy who had dreams...literally and figuratively. He was his dad's "favorite", which annoyed his brothers...so, long story short, he was sold into slavery, became a servant, falsely accused of rape, imprisoned, and all this happened over a period of 13 years. Of course, eventually God used him in a mighty way...which was His plan from the very beginning.

Now, the first thing I kept hearing over and over in my mind was "13 years? You've got to be kidding me!" But then the heart of the message made it to my mind. During those times of trials, Joseph kept a good attitude. He didn't focus on what he didn't have, but what he was going to have. His character stayed true to his belief in God and the plan that God had for him. I'm sure he had plenty of opportunity to feel sorry for himself, but that's not what people saw. They saw his faithfulness and willingness to make the best of a "not perfect" situation.

It's all about choices. I give myself the excuse that I'm human and because of that God allows for periods of depression and disappointment and frustration. And He does allow me to be human...but above all, He wants us to CHOOSE to keep trusting Him for direction. He wants us to CHOOSE to be thankful for what we do have and not focus on what we don't have. He wants us to CHOOSE to remember the times He has taken care of us and done great things in our life. He wants us to CHOOSE to look ahead to what HE HAS PLANNED.

His plans are far greater than anything I can even imagine.

No comments: