Friday, June 22, 2007

Middle School

If you turn off the noise and listen, I believe you can hear the angelic choir singing the Halelujah chorus. Today was Zack's last "official" day of 8th grade.

I have to be honest, I'm a little numb about the whole thing. On the one hand, I'm soooo relieved that this year is over. What a struggle it has been trying to just get him to pass his classes. (I would like to strangle whoever it was that told him that middle school 'doesn't count'. He took them very seriously.) On the other hand, my son is now going into high school.

It really wasn't that long ago that we were shopping for his first backpack. I think it had Pikachu (from Pokemon) on it. I still have boxes of his first papers and drawings and other nonsense that, as a Mom, you just can't throw away. (Now I just move it from place to place.)

He's growing up. When he hugs me, he rests his chin on my head. He shaves (don't tell him I told). He has "Peter Brady" syndrome. (Anyone who watched The Brady Bunch probably knows what I'm talking about...voice is down low and suddenly something squeaks in the middle of a conversation. ) Girls call him all the time. He's got TWO really good long-time friends who actually have their drivers' permits. OH, I'm SO NOT READY FOR THIS.

I want this summer to last a long time. I want to hold on just a little longer.

No comments: