Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Summer

Since I haven't been teaching there are 2 particular days that are extremely hard for me...the first day of school and the first day of summer.

I extremely enjoyed the summers when I was teaching. How nice to still get a regular paycheck and not have to go to work everyday. Instead, I got to sleep in, get caught up on General Hospital and most importantly, be there with my kid.

Those first two years we spent the first part of our summer driving from South Carolina to Washington, and at the end of the summer making the drive back. That first summer we discovered KOA and Zack started his shot glass collection (at 7)...he just thought they were cute little glasses. We saw the Painted Desert, The Grand Canyon, cacti (like the ones in the cartoons with actual "arms") , Las Vegas, prairie dogs, Elvis' tiny little house (not Graceland)...and so much more. We played silly games, we ate junk food, we talked...I learned all the latest 'Nsync and Backstreet Boys songs (Zack will NEVER admit that he actually loved them) and Zack can still sing along with Barry Manilow (and I am NOT ashamed to admit that I still love Barry!) Those are memories that will last forever.

So now, when the first day of summer comes, I feel sad. I'm stuck in an office. I keep tabs on Zack...but am not there with him. This is an important time in life to make sure I know where he is and what he's doing. I don't necessarily love doing it by constant back and forth phone calls.

Don't get me wrong...I'm thankful that I have a job...but I miss summer.

No comments: