Monday, July 30, 2007

The Age of Reality

This blog is NOT about reality tv (though I am an addict and could surely blog about it). This blog is about a point in life where we actually face the reality of our age.

I have a birthday coming up (in 6 days actually) and according to my mother and my birth certificate, I will be 52 years old. In my mind, I am no more than 32. At least, that's what my mind thought until this last weekend.

As you already know if you keep up with my blogs, we moved this past weekend. I really haven't physically worked that hard in a very long time. First there was the wallpaper...don't even get me started. Then the painting, which after 2 coats turned out very nicely...even Zack's "graffiti" wall. Packing is really not very strenuous. I spent one whole day unpacking and repacking my boxes so as to deplete the number. I did do that...but obviously not enough. I was up at 7:00 am Saturday morning (after going to bed at 1:30 am). I finished up some packing that still needed done. Our 'helpers' (THANK YOU!) came at 9:00 am to help with the big stuff. They were gone by noon...I didn't finish hauling boxes until 2:00 AM! HOW DO TWO PEOPLE ACCUMULATE THAT MUCH STUFF!!!!!?

So, what does this have to do with the reality of age? My body is sore from the lifting and bending and climbing...but it would be sore even if I were 32. The reality of my age starts as soon as my body quits
moving. The last 2 nights I have almost overdosed on Ibuprofen. As soon as I lay down and get relaxed...the aching begins. It's like a toothache from the waist down. And lucky me, I wake up about every 10 minutes just to realize that, 'yep, it still hurts'. This morning at 3:00 am I woke up, took a couple more Ibuprofen and spent about 20 minutes walking and rubbing my legs. I'm not getting charley horses (thank goodness)...but just a horrible, constant aching. I didn't "pull" anything...it's not a particular muscle...it's the whole thing...even my shins ached!

This, my friend, is age...the aging process...getting older...looking at life from the downhill side...heading into the horizon...(don't worry I'm not 'running to the light' yet)...the reality of age.

2 comments:

ADW said...

I feel it as well. I think that the time that we are the fittest - physically - is in our teens, but we don't seem to appreciate that until much, much later (=-

Mim said...

We moved this weekend too and being only 24 you would think my muscles would bounce back in no time. Not the case. I swear I'm an 80 year old in this body.