Friday, July 6, 2007

Let Freedom Ring

The 4th of July is my favorite holiday. There are a lot of different reasons I like it. I love that it's summer and so it's usually a warm day. I love that even the biggest cities try to become "small town". I have found that the home town celebrations are always the best. I love the hamburgers and hot dogs that come along with the day. I love getting together with friends to eat, laugh and celebrate. I LOVE the fireworks! I anticipate the evening, the whole day I wait for the big fireworks display. I cry when I hear "The Star Spangled Banner", "God Bless America", "This is My Country"...but most of all I cry when I hear Lee Greenwood sing, "I'm Proud to Be An American". (If I'm in the car when I hear it, Zack gets totally embarrassed because I turn up the volume as loud as I can, sing even louder, all the while waving my arms.)

We have a lot to be thankful for. We live in a country where we have the freedom to complain about the government (and don't we take advantage of that freedom?). We have the freedom to get an education, have a job that we want, live where we want to live, and worship the way we want to worship.

This past Wednesday, I sat on my blanket people watching. To my left was a family from the Middle East, to my right were two Vietnamese women, behind them was another Asian family. Directly behind me were some teenagers listening to very loud rap music (which I don't believe was patriotic in nature). At first I was a little annoyed when they turned on their music...but again was reminded that it's a free country. However, I was later impressed by those boys. As darkness started to fall, they turned off their radio so that we could hear the piped in patriotic music. I watched as they took off their hats during the national anthem and they watched the fireworks with as much enthusiasm as those around me.

This country is by no means perfect. But having lived in another country for a period of time, I know firsthand how lucky we are to live in such a wonderful place. It is my duty to pray for those who serve this nation, whether in the military or in a governmental position. I thank God for the freedoms we have.

God Bless America!

No comments: