Tuesday, July 3, 2007

All Stars

Zack had the distinct pleasure of being invited to try out for the Junior All Stars baseball team. I wish I could say that the whole experience has been a pleasure...but as they say, "there's no such thing as free lunch". (Who are "they"?) I really have to write a blog on that subject someday.

After two days of try outs, Zack got the call that he had made the team. There was a huge hassle with Zack's Dad. I won't expound on that either...I will say that even when I thought the whole thing was settled, it has still caused moments of uproar and turmoil...but again, subject for another time. The team has practiced every day. We had to buy pictures, shirts, etc. etc. This week the competition finally began. The first tournament is a double elimination. Sunday morning we lost our first game. (I still think it's because we were playing on a Sunday when the boys should be going to church...yet another topic for another day.) Last night was their 2nd game. Win and we keep playing...lose and all that practice and all that effort is done for another year.

Bottom of the third inning...we are losing 5-0. The boys looked defeated and were playing as if they were already defeated. Finally they got a lucky break and scored 2 runs. By the bottom of the 6th it still wasn't looking good...still 5-2. We (in the stands) started talking about how the boys lacked energy, etc. We aren't allowed to talk to them while they are in the dugout...so we began cheering and yelling and whistling...the coach caught on and did a little dance in front of the dugout. The boys begin cheering with us, smiling, getting energized. They held the other team to 5...it was the bottom of the 7th (little league only goes 7 innings) and suddenly the ball started flying, runs were made...the score is now tied 5-5 and we are going into extra innings. We were the home team, so got last "ups"...in the top of the 8th our pitcher struck out the three batters. Our team got up to bat...again, the energy was high, cheers, whistles, smiles, etc...needless to say...we WON!!!!

A couple life lessons from this experience...#1 Even when it looks dismal, you can't quit and #2 A support system is priceless. I think of my support systems...my church, my home group, my family. Without them on the sidelines cheering me on, praying for me, loving me, constantly supporting me, I would easily give up.

I'm glad I have fans.

No comments: