Thursday, July 12, 2007

Harry Potter

Call me crazy! Tuesday night I picked Zack up (from his Dad's house) and we went to the nearby theater to stand in line 2 hours so we would have good seats for the 12:05 AM showing of the latest "Harry Potter" movie. We have gone to the opening day of the movie since they began 4 years ago. I finally got home at about 3:00 AM and had to get up and come to work yesterday morning...needless to say I was tired and groggy most of yesterday.

The movie was GREAT! I love the "Harry Potter" series...can't wait until the last book comes out next week. Someone commented to me about my enthusiasm over something so "un-Christian". I've heard the arguments and debates, but I honestly think that those who argue against it haven't read the books.

Yes, Harry is a "warlock" and yes, the story is about witches and ghouls and goblins...but come on people, IT IS FICTION. And it's about so much more: good vs. evil, prejudice and tolerance, the importance of friends and love...it's about a boy, who after years of feeling unloved and unimportant, suddenly finds that he has "gifts" and that he is special. I'm excited to get the next book, but disappointed because it is probably the end of the series. I know it will be a group of books (and movies) that I will re-read and re-watch for many years to come.

I was reading a blog the other day written by a mother who had to explain to her 8 year old daughter that Hogwarts is pretend. The daughter was so disappointed because she had been hoping to talk her mom into letting her go to school there. I know just how she feels...I want to be a teacher there!

No comments: