Monday, August 6, 2007

A month for a MIRACLE

I am expecting a miracle. This month I AM going to find out I have a teaching job. Now, to some, that may not seem such a miracle. If you have known me for the last 5 years... you know it would be a HUGE miracle!

Between the ages of 21-38, I was a social worker/counselor. I worked in adolescent treatment centers, camps, DCFS and a child abuse prevention agency. I enjoyed all of the jobs that I did. When Zack came along, I actually worked for the first 6 months, but suddenly discovered that I really just wanted to be home with my baby. I quit my job and three weeks later my "ex" decided he didn't want to be married anymore. He moved out and there I was without a job.

That turned into a good thing. (in more ways than ten) I knew I needed to go back to school for a master's degree and went to the local college to check out social work programs. It turns out, the nearest SW Master's program was 90 miles away. I would have to commute! Then some sweet lady who was standing there asked if I liked working with kids so much, had I ever given any thought to being a teacher? Turns out, I actually started out in elementary education but after my first education class (after being forced to make a "Haiku" bulletin board)...I decided that I really didn't want to do that forever. Anyway, at this lady's suggestion, I checked the MAT (Master's in the Art of Teaching High School Social Studies) and realized that in 2-3 years I could have a teaching degree. So, I signed up that day...I figured I could quit after the first semester if I really didn't like it.

Turns out, I LOVED IT! During my second year, I met an assistant principal and she asked me if I would like to be a substitute teacher. I ended up doing a long term sub position (3 semesters), did my student teaching, and got my first contract at her school. After getting my degree, I was at Stratford for 3 years before deciding to move to Washington.

I never even imagined that I wouldn't be able to get a teaching position. There are teacher shortages all over the United States...apparently, NOT in Washington. Oh, they need Science and Math...but hey, any COACH can teach a Social Studies class. (LOL) Just kidding coaches. I'm not really sure what is happening, but around here, there are very few SS openings and I very rarely get called even for an interview. Since moving here I have interviewed less than 10 times (for teaching positions). I actually got one job, but it was non-continuing and did another long-term sub position from Sept. to Feb. of this last school year.

This year, I want a permanent...no more searching, no more interviewing, no more waiting for the phone to ring...teaching job. I want next summer off. Zack is getting older, but not yet old enough to be on his own. I want to be able to be home with him. I want to travel. I want to NOT be sitting in an office doing a job I just really don't like doing.

I want to be a teacher! So, join in with me this month...I have faith and believe that the MIRACLE is going to happen!

1 comment:

Mim said...

It's always amazing to me that even with teaching shortages, teachers still can't find jobs. It's like this go around people are focusing on 2 subjects (english and social studies) or even the "easy" ones like theatre or music. I used to work in the Education Department at a university and we were forever licensing social studies and english and barely any science or math. It's crazy.

I'll keep your job hunt in my prayers.