Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Heartbreak

In life, we learn to handle heartbreak. Last night I had to watch my son suffer a heartbreak.

Bottom of the 7th, his team leading 6-4...our 3rd pitcher had to be taken out so he could start in tonight's game. (something about pitch count rules). The coach called Zack to the mound. There were 2 on base, 1 out. The batter already had 2 balls, no strikes. Zack walked him, now bases loaded. The next batter came up, hit one out...Zack made a bad throw to catcher and they scored...still only one out, bases are still loaded and the score is 6-5. Next batter hit it hard and they scored at least 3 runs. Game over. Zack cried. He took the burden of the loss as his own.

I wanted to run out there to him and wrap him in my arms, but he's 13 and that would have only made it worse. I saw his face crumple and his shoulders fall. I saw the heartbreak written all over him. I wanted to carry it all for him...take the heartbreak upon myself. But, it's a life lesson for him, albeit a tough one.

On Mother's Day, Scott and Cole talked about our roles as mothers and how that role compares to God the Father...I thought about that last night. He has to sit back and let us stumble sometimes. He sees us go through heartbreak and defeat...and He's there to comfort us when we let Him. He helps us get back up and start again.

Zack plays again tonight. I'll be there to cheer him on.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Paulette,

I love your insight on God and how you let him move and work in your life. You give me strength! You are in my prayers. Blessings, Tammy