Monday, May 7, 2007

Parenting

I yelled at Zack on the way to school this morning. As he got out of the car, there was no "I love you" or the usual kiss good-bye. I said a sarcastic "have a great day, Zack"... it was meant to bring about guilt and remorse. Now I'm the one feeling guilty and remorseful. Not that there wasn't an issue...and a valid one. But I handled it all wrong.

I feel like I handle a lot of issues wrong these days. I think that goes along with the territory of having a 13 year old. I know I won't handle each and every issue correctly, but I guess I didn't realize I would screw up so often. I feel like I don't have a lot of answers. Funny, because I have spent so much of my adult life working with kids and actually being very good at it. When it comes to my own, I am screwing up a lot more than not.

I love Zack. And I am really blowing it as a Christian parent. I'm not praying enough...with him, or for him. I'm going to tell him that this afternoon and he's going to roll his eyes...but I'm going to start praying with him consistently. And I'm going to start praying for him more than just when we get into rough spots. (I could write another blog on that topic...praying about things only when we hit rough spots.)

Thank You God for letting me be a parent. Thank You for giving me Zack. Please forgive me for not allowing You to be the center of the parenting process.

No comments: